Thursday, December 1, 2011

Television These Days

I have found myself watching TV less and less these days. The common response to this is usually "good for you". However, my reasoning for this is for no other reason than the content.

The reality shows on TV boggle my mind and the popularity is something that completely confuses me. Watching shows like Teen Mom, Jersey Shore and Real Housewives in my humble opinion has no entertainment value and only shows people how to emulate bad behavior. If you want to see bad behavior, just go to Wal Mart. Why are networks paying teenage parents to neglect their children and behave horribly? Why are they paying entitled drama filled rich people even more money to behave badly on camera? Why is Snooki, a drunk fat skank a television icon with her own doll and Halloween costume?

Is this what has become of our world? Teen mothers, rich drama queens, and stupid drunks have become our idols and hero's? Why did this happen? What do the adults loving these shows, teach their children? Do the fans of these shows even stop to ponder this? A better question is, how can we turn society around? Media has a huge impact on our society whether we like it or not. I believe that is where reform should start. So if anyone even reads this, do your future and society a favor and watch shows with actual heros and heroines or watch cartoons. Not saying only watch PBS but be mindful of the things you watch and the morals you display.

2 comments:

  1. Well you tell it you "All my Children" junkie. But no seriously, the 80's adage of sex, drugs, and rock n' roll mixed with money and attention seekers brings you to todays television programs. This actually is not a reflection of the media per say, but the moguls who crave more money at the rediculousness and gullability of the American public who actually boost the ratings so more money can be attained through the commercials. I agree with you about the filth on TV, as we choose not to watch, but those that do are probably seeking an outlet from their own depressiveness from today's economy with nothing better to do than watch the telly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I openly wept when they cancelled my beloved soap so thank you for bringing up such a tramatic topic...however, I see your point. I wish the greed of the moguls would cease already. That or Mr. Sandman needs to move up the corperate latter to NBC CEO so I can move into the pool house and watch re runs of All My Children. I love you =)

    ReplyDelete